Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage not weakness.
"An anthropologist proposed a game to children in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the children that whoever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run, they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats.
When he asked them why they had run like that when one could have had all the fruits for himself, they said, ‘UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?’ (‘UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”via Occupy Sweden
The greatest decision you will make in your life is to love and accept yourself. By failing to do so, you affect all different areas of your life negatively, whether it’s a relationship, your career, family, your future, and so on. None of these things will truly flourish until you are able to discover self love. Here are some important things to remember:
- Do not compare. No two people are exactly alike, everyone has different opportunities, talents, achievements, etc. Someone else’s success does not mean that you’ve failed. You have to focus on your own goals and achievements, and know that they are your own and no one elses. Compete with and challenge yourself to reach your goals, not other people. The greatest reward is reaching a goal and knowing that you did it solely for yourself.
- Patience. Learning to love yourself is not an overnight process, it takes time and effort. It’s an ongoing process, not a destination, and you will forever find new reasons and ways to appreciate your self worth as time goes on.
- Do what you love. Don’t like your job? Quit. Don’t like where you’re living? Move. I know that it’s not always that simple, but if you really want to change these things, you can. It takes determination and hard work, but once you understand that you deserve to be happy, it won’t seem so unattainable.
- Focus on the positive. Find the silver-lining in every situation. Understand that you have the ability to make the best out of everything you’re dealt. I know it’s cliché, but when one door closes, another will open. It’s making way for a better opportunity. Once your able to see this, you’ll be a much happier person.
- Forgive yourself. We all make mistakes, the important thing is that we learn from them to better ourselves. We do many things for different reasons, and are forced to act impulsively sometimes. Always be willing to forgive yourself and move forward. The past is the past, so focus on the now.
- Have fun. With all of our responsibilities in everyday life, it’s hard to fully disconnect and do something you enjoy. Find a hobby, relax, do something fun. You deserve to be happy.
- Accept uncertainty. This was one of the hardest things for me to do. Understand that the future is unknown and don’t stress about trying to control it. Yes, you have the ability to control certain things, but overall, you don’t know where you’ll be in 20 years. Unexpected things happen, and they’re almost always out of your control. Learn to live in and appreciate the now, and let the future take care of itself. What happens will happen, just know that you are fully capable at handling whatever is thrown your way.
There’s a lot more I could write about but I think these are the most important points to make. Once you are able to understand and practice these principles, you’ll find it much easier to love and accept yourself as you are. When you find inner peace, you’ll see that it’s easier to maintain healthy relationships and enjoy each day. Always remember that you are worthy and deserving.
Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.
People think a soul-mate is a perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul-mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you back to your own attention so you can change your life. A soul-mate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so that new light can enter, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life.
Awesome female characters in the Prince of Egypt (1/4) → Yocheved
If somebody comes up to you and tells you you’re fat or if somebody comes up to you and tells you you’re beautiful — that has absolutely nothing to do with who you are and everything to do with who they are. Remember that.